Thursday, April 14, 2005

What I should really being doing right now is re-naming this blog: "The Diary of the Worst Cashier (not to mention Closer) in the World."

It's 12:02 a.m. and I am writing this now, because of the fact that I am the worst cashier (not to mention closer) in the world. You might think I'm exaggerating, because sometimes I do that. But, as my tearful eyes prove, it is true. I'm pretty sure I said, "Sorry!" to one guy 43 times. I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure after the fourth "Sorry!" one person gets in less than four minutes the word and the meaning loses it's sincerity. To make it worse, he substituted his chips for a fruit cup and I forgot to give him his fruit cup. He came back five minutes later for it, and once again got another one of my Sorry!'s with a face of disgust in disappointment of my lame fruit cup forgetting self. Then this other time a lady came in with a huge order, but the people who put it together were smart. They made and printed out each of their orders, which was a very helpful aid while collecting all their bottled waters, lemonades, and bagels. I once again forgot the fruit cup (those dang fruit cups!) which actually was okay this time because she was more understanding having a big order and all. But then she came back to tell me that I punched in "for here" and they had to take back all the food and re-package it "to go". That I felt really bad about, because it was more work for the people behind the line. The next person right after that ordered a loaf of bread sliced, but as I put the sliced bread into the plastic bag the bread slices fell all around the bag. That's when this big dork just wanted to cry, "Why!!?? Can't I do anything right!" I, like usual, apologized and told the nice lady, "Just a sec. I'll fix this for you." The nice lady turned to me and said, "Oh don't be silly. That's fine. I'll take it like that. You would be boring if you were perfect." (side note: I could have given that lady a hug) So maybe I shouldn't be so negative (haha at first I wrote positive), maybe what I should really be doing right now is re-naming my blog: "The Diary of the Least Boring Cashier (not to mention Closer) in the World" Let me explain the closer part of that statement. I'm the slowest closer. For whatever reason I can't get everything done fast enough. Each task takes me forever and it's so freaking frustrating. Today everyone left a good 15minutes before me. Part of it has to do with that dang pastry display that has to be perfect (and the other part has to do with how much I suck, plain and simple). It's the same display that has new signs and plates missing each time I go to set it up. I must have spent at least 20 minutes putting it together and that's without really double-checking to see if I had everything done correctly. I tell you, I'm horrible. You wouldn't think some one could be so bad at something so easy, but I am one horrible cashier (I truly doubt that anyone could be much worse. Unless they really tried to beat me. And I mean really try).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know, I could probably give you a run for your money. I have a lot to learn when it comes to cashiering. For some reason I just don't get it. I still remember working at Subway, and once again entering the wrong thing, and my boss saying, You're really pushing it today Husayn. The hard part for me was to not let it affect how I see myself. Different people are good at different things, and I'm clearly not very good at cashiering. That's why I didn't get a job in that.
I do wish they would make cashier machines more user friendly. I've never seen one where it's easy to correct a wrong amount or order.