Tuesday, September 07, 2004

an onion forever and always

i have come to realize that ashville, north carolina is the coolest city ever. i have fallen in love with north carolina. that state is officially on my "state where i would live" list.

in this very rural town of hemingway, south carolina i kinda feel like i'm a city girl all out of place. i don't know what is the proper way to do things. can i laugh at things that seem weird to me but are normal for everyone else or would that be considered rude here? i'm worried laughing might get me in trouble. like eating a salad for example. at lunch the other day the kid next to me (i haven't learned his name yet but he really made me laugh all afternoon) first put salt and then pepper in his salad. i was about to start laughing but then i noticed that no one else found it unusal. is it normal to put salt and pepper on your salad? is this a common behavoir that other people do and i just have not realized it? i wonder.

oh another weird thing happened. when i was introduced to the kids on sunday at devotionals the littlest one got a shocked expression on his face and said, "anya!" and then tried to hold in his laughter. later the kid who's name i have not yet learned but makes me laugh told me that he was laughing because there was a dog that just got run over named anya. then he and his cousins were all like, "yeah at first we couldn't say the dogs name so we just called it onion." i could not believe it. i did not tell them that was my nick name because i knew that was what they would call me the rest of the year. onion will never escape me.


So kiss me and smile for me
Tell me that you'll wait for me
Hold me like you'll never let me go

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya. It's always scary getting used to new standards of what is/isn't "ok". I think it's important to be sensitive to your new surroundings (which you seem to be), but it's also important to be yourself and acknowledge the differences and similarities between the culture you grew up in and the culture in which you currently find yourself. If the differences are there, talk about them, laugh about them, question where the differences came about. It'll help break the ice and help everyone be more comfortable just being themselves. If no one discusses the differences, they tend to seem bigger and more important than they actually are and can overshadow our similarities and common humanity. So, laugh when you feel like laughing.

I can't wait to read more about your new home!
Katie

anya said...

i'd love that. but i don't know if they would let me go. you should come down here on oct. 30 or 31st for peace fest though. that would be awesome.