Thursday, October 21, 2004

And Mr. January for the 2005 South Carolina African American Heritage Calendar is...

Mr. Louis G. Gregory.

On Thursday we got all dressed up and went to Columbia for the unveiling of the Bell South 2005 South Carolina African American Heritage Calendar. It was nice to go somewhere. It was like getting to go on a field trip in High School where you get to dress up. I think I like getting ready for a big event more than the actual event. That's why I didn't really care if I went to dances, because I would always help my friends find dresses, find shoes, pick a hair style, get make-up, and put it all together. I could be content with being a personal shopper. Oh man, I just thought about it and I would LOve that job. If you look at the pictures of my family at some wedding or an event like that, you would see me pouting because of the one fact that I hated dressing up. The only time I can remember liking it growing up was when I was like two or three and I was getting ready for our families (one and only) professional portrait. I loved my dress. I can still remember putting it on the downstairs bathroom in the Aurora house. I remember I put it on like it was a t-shirt without un-zipping it and my head got stuck. It felt like forever before my mom showed up, I mean I was screaming as loud as I could. How could she not rush to her screamingbloodymurder child? Oh that's right because I tended to scream like that every time I cried. But once I had the dress on right I was happy and excited the EXACT opposite of my dear sister Sara (if I had a scanner this would be the time I would post the picture for you all to see). Every other time after that when I had to get dressed up I hated it. I never liked what my mom picked out for me and what I had to wear. In fact I disliked my clothes so much that every time some random kind person gave me a penny [my dad usually gave me one but if he didn't I felt guilty asking for one]to throw in the fountain at the House of Worship, I would always wish for a new dress. This also upset me, because I felt that wishing for a dress was a big waste of a wish. So now that I have gotten way off subject...Louis G. Gregory [I'm at the Louis G.Greogory Institute by the way for those who don't know] was honored with the month of January [the best month] for the Bell South South Carolina African American Heritage Calendar. They gave his bio in front of the whole audience of one thousand and it was exciting to be there for it. Not to mention it was so late on our way back we stopped at IHOP were I got the banana nut pancakes without the nuts and they were mmm....mmm...DELICIOUS!

p.p. Suzanne and Husayn [and Amia] you guys can TiVo your lives any time during the three weeks I'm home. I'll take Amia any day, any time! Including midnight!

---------
Sleep with all the lights on.
You're not so happy.
You're not secure.

Sleep with all the sheets off
Bearing your mattress
Bearing your soul.
And you're dying to look smooth with your tattoos
But you're searching just like everyone
Could be anyone.

No comments: